Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Don't Go Breaking My Heart

So I go over to Ferry Elementary School to get D Friday...we walk home, talk about stuff and eat snow(just the white stuff of course). Well it kinda broke my heart when I walked in the school and passed by the Kindergarten rooms...D's old teacher was bringing kids in from outside and they were all soo cute and bundled up and covered in snow. I did a dijeridoo class for them and some of them remember me..I looked at them and said, "Who's gonna go sledding when they get home?" and like five or six of the 10 little kids looked at me all bummed out and depressed and replied, "We have to go to our Dads house". I have friends that are divorced and they seem to be quite balanced and got married too young and had some problems or whatever the reason. It seems to me that kids these days aren't growing up with a whole lot of love. The friends that I do have that divorced must be in the high percentage when it comes to excessive love. The whole family seems to get along and everyone loves everyone else.
Why did these kids immediatly deflate in spirits when I asked them if they were going sledding? I am a Dad..my best buddies are Dads.. our kids are ecstatic to spend time alone with us it seems. Are other Fathers dropping the ball?
Maybe to be a good Father you have to KNOW a good father. Some of my buddies came from a broken home or a disfunctional surrounding...who didn't..but it seems they all turned out o.k..
I am confused..when those little boys and girls looked up at me and said that I felt my heart kinda sink a little...I wish I could have them all over here...I'd take all of them sledding and then for ice cream...hey wait...I haven't taken MY kids sledding yet this year..but we eat our share of ice cream and play with forts and dolls and watch Jonny Quest and Scooby Doo together. This is a wakeup call for those of you reading this........
Your Mom and Dad probably told you this a long time ago....."They grow so fast" it will be a long time before I ever see my kids fret at the thought of spending time with Dad. Sure sometimes I might have a little gas that stinks real bad..or I might havta blog or check out Mc sites...or sometimes I might just be a little too busy.....but I can almost always say that I take the time to make some time for the kids....it's the little things that mean alot.

Take the pebble from my hand grasshoppa,
Peace Out

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. Steve's lucky the girls love the computer too. But you have to monitor that and actually spend some real quality time. I am always bugging steve to spend more time with them, and I came to realize that my dad was such an awsome dad and we did lots of stuff together, but it was mostly with the whole family(like sailing or camping). He was always working hard and tired when he came home. My mom , on the other hand, was always playing with us, taking us here, making our costumes, etc. She was a stay at home mom. The best kind :). I think its a cultural thing for men to be the breadmakers and the women who are the caretakers and spend most time with the kids. There are exceptions with some men though, I have seen them.
Gophergrll.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Arkay said...

Guilty..
Bob Dylan said it best..
The times they are a changin'
Not many single income families anymore..my Mom was a stay at home mom too...and she was awesome. My Father too, worked long hours and did family stuff on the weekend with us but during the week he was too tired most of the time.
I just want my kids to look back and realize that I spent alot of time with them and we did really cool stuff!! Weekends were made for Michelob...what??

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally believe that if any kids look back and reflect on their lives and think to themselves "What awsome parents I had and we had such good times", it will be your kids, wade and michelle. Even though my dad was working all the time, he still gave me great memories.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Arkay said...

Kory dude...
Everclear was the band that did Father of Mine...and it's about his Father deserting him at the age of ten and sending him $5 every once in awhile in an envelope....I have no money to send my kids..and when Delaney turns ten I will be so far in debt that I will have nowhere else to go. Give me a call.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad Kory...

You are a Vandyke, and they are known for doing and saying really silly things.

;-)

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I don't think it's that the dad isn't spending time with the kids, it's the quality of time.

I'm sure I spend way more time with my kids than my dad did with us, but when my dad spent time with us it was very often something to remember. We went fishing, hunting, boating, camping, lots of outdoor stuff. Lots of good and strong memories.

I'm not sure I am doing as well in that department, but my kids are just getting up to the ages that I can do more of those things with them so, hopefully, I will improve. I'm definately going to try. I need to for both their's and my sake.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! camo bdu zip off pants Soft asian beats Fitness centers columbia mo minus pants Ups retirement plan Hot travel deals

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home