Saturday, September 04, 2004

Bible Small Group

So here I am...on the blog again. Greg and I have formed a group that meets once a week and we are using the guidelines of a book called Leadership Principles from the Life of Christ. It's been really great when we get together...like when Greg doesn't have to work overtime...or when I have to fix something at the house. It just makes me look forward to it more than I already did. There are a couple guys from work that are also interested in our group...what a great way to spend time with others. Discussion and trying to put ourselves into the position of a bystander in scripture.
We did a study on a passage from Luke 5:1-11. Now tell me the truth..if you were out fishing with three of your buddies all night..ALL NIGHT...morning arrives you get everything packed up, your nets, your supplies, you didn't catch anything at all. This guy comes down to the water with a crowd of people following him and steps into one of the boats that is on the shore and asks one of your buddies to push him out into the water a little so he can better talk to the crowd that has gathered by the coastline. Your buddy agrees. You are sleepy, you are tired, you are bummin' because you didn't catch anything and you were out all night with your buddies(explain THAT to the wife when you get home!!) and yet your call yourself a fisherman.
So this guy says,"Go back out into the water and you will catch many fish". Would you unpack everything? Would you do what he said? These guys did.. with no complaining or whining at all. When they did they caught so many fish that the nets started to rip and they had to call for help because the boats were so full of fish that they started to sink.
Then they knew that this was Jesus, they fell to their knees, amazed at what had just occured, Jesus told them they they are now "fishers of men". They left everything and followed him.
What an awesome story...in our group it is quite a discussion and informative when you put it in a modern day perspective and think what it would be like to witness such a miracle.
I leave you with a quote from Rob Bell that hit me pretty hard; SO MANY PEOPLE ARE PUTTING RELIGION AND GOD TOGETHER AND WALKING AWAY FROM BOTH. I am guilty. I used to say something like that when I didn't know alot about God. I now frown on the word religion because I do not like to be associated with religion. I am a follower of Jesus..a Jesus Freak.
The only thing I do religiously is maybe go to the bathroom once a day..or I go to work religously at 6 o'clock. I am not religious.
Something to ponder
The weaker I get , the stronger I become
God Bless and Peace Out

12 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Yah, brutha! I AM NOT RELIGIOUS! I love that. I have frequently found myself saying that. People always throw that out, "Aw, I'm not really religious." Neither am I. I just follow Jesus because he asked me too. I hate religion.

Way to get up and start a group, Wade. I think that's an awesome idea, you and Greg go to it. Change Herman Miller from the inside out!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Deur said...

I am a fan of Wade Breeden and his funky jive talkin!

6:04 PM  
Blogger C-Man said...

I am with Deur.

wade, wade he's our man.....

Rock on!

6:46 PM  
Blogger C-Man said...

I am with Deur. Keep at it Wade and Greg. Be the church.

What?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

man, we have so much in common. I am a religious crapper too... I love you're train of thought. Keep being honest and bare and remember that you are impacting your world. Make sure it's for Christ. Dude he's using you.
keep it real
Roach

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you say you do not like to be associated with religion? Are you not setting your moral values for your life and your families life? Do you not have faith? Do you not have devotion? Do you not have beliefs?
What do you believe to be your destiny?
This is all associated with religion. It is the word used to describe all of these things.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word religion is so unimportant. To be a follower of Jesus is not. Too many people frown on the word itself...they seem to confuse it with judgement issues, boredom, things that are repetitive and unchanging. My love for my God is anything but these. When you believe you will understand. It's about feeling and living to serve. It's about being the church... not just going to church.

7:59 PM  
Blogger BigDog said...

Religion... That is a word with a lot of baggage. Check this link out for some talk on the subject: http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm

7:47 AM  
Blogger Deur said...

DUDE! Missed ya today - where were ya drumming maniac! Looking forward to seeing you and the new one soon! Praying for you guys as you enter the final week of two kids. :)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Anonymous makes a crucial distinction for us, that the word "religion" seems to be associated with so many negative things. In other words, the word "religion" carries a lot of baggage. And since the goal of words is communication, we have abandoned the term religion in a great deal of contexts precisely because of the baggage it has and the ideas it connotes to the hearers. Therefore, we profess to be followers of Jesus. We are not religious, even though a text book definition of "religious" might indicate that this is exactly what we are. We reject the negative associations and move on to a more helpful vocabulary.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info elegant book shelves hollywood Goku sailor moon sex Freaky faucets matchbox mp3 player Lexapro + patient information 2 box game player x suzuki 1988 http://www.orange-county-california-divorce-attorney.info/suzuki-decals.html Kids bookcase plans wireless phone family plans Cox 2 celebrex marauder suzuki suzuki

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! auto insurance Proactiv acne free blackberry 7230 Belly dancing hertfordshire england

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home